Monday, October 26, 2009

50 Cent Talks Economics, Wants To Become Obama's Financial Advisor


He's written a manual for today's businessman and wants to be Barack Obama's financial advisor, the entrepreneurial rap star talks money

'(Robert) DeNiro asks me for business advice... My tip is to not move, ever, in a business meeting - people will fear you and respect you,' said 50 Cent
Curtis Jackson - aka rap phenomenon 50 Cent - is pondering the impact of the economic recession on the bling world of rap. Although he is currently promoting his role in a film - Dead Man Running, the first movie production of footballers Ashley Cole and Rio Ferdinand - Jackson calls himself a businessman. His fortune has been estimated at £500 million but in these tougher times even he has taken a hit.

He grins and says: 'Hey, if you don't lose some money in this recession it means you didn't have enough to start off with. Sure I lost a few (million) but that's just because I have so much. This is a time that will sort the strong from the weak. Any businessman who wants a piece of the future should learn from me.'
Two years ago Jackson netted $400 million after Coca-Cola bought the Vitamin Water company for $4.1 billion - he owned ten per cent of the company. His own business empire, G Unit, rakes in millions from sales of branded trainers, an urban clothing line, diamond watches and movie and book deals.
Now 34, he lives in Farmington, Connecticut, in the former mansion of Mike Tyson.



My new hero is Ray WinstoneI'm working with him on a movie project, 13, with Mickey Rourke, Jason Statham and Sam Riley. A lot of British boys. Ray is a man who understands respect.


I have a Lamborghini Murcielago and a Rolls-Royce Silver Phantom but I can't be bothered to drive either. I used to think that if I bought stuff that showed the world how much money I made I'd be happy. But that doesn't work. For me success was always going to be a Lamborghini. But now I've got it, it just sits on my drive. My Rolls-Royce has less than nine miles on the clock.

I've written a manual for today's businessman. It's called The 50th Law. In the board room you have to learn to be the top man. My tip is to not move, ever, in a business meeting. Don't move, don't speak, don't nod. People will fear you and respect you.


Rio Ferdinand and Ashley Cole both know what's 'real'. They acted as executive producers on Dead Man Running. I don't know much about football but I know about people who understand what goes on on the street. One of the big things that got me to this part was the story (about a small-time businessmen escaping the clutches of a loan shark). It's one I know and understand. I wanted to do the project because I thought it was good. So good I even wrote them a song they use in the movie.

'These guys are my heroes': 50 Cent on working with Al Pacino and Robert DeNiro on Righteous KillI should be Barack Obama's financial advisor. Obama is a great thing to happen to America. People think I was a Bush supporter but Obama is the man. If he wants me as his financial advisor that would be cool - I would do a better job than anyone else.


The credit crunch has hit rap - I've even started trading in my old diamonds.I buy diamonds on a very regular basis. I like jewellery but you have to go with the times and now I'm selling my old stuff before I get something new. These are times when we can learn about the value of money.

Robert De Niro asks me for business advice. I worked with him and Al Pacino on Righteous Kill and that was a big deal for me. These guys are heroes. Robert doesn't see me like a lot of other people see me. He sees me as a businessman and he asks me for advice and has respect for my opinion.

I spend £20,000 a week on security. My home is surrounded by cameras. I need surveillance not only to look out for me but also to protect me. You get all these crazy lawsuits and I need cameras to check on things.


I want to play the lead in a romantic movie. Jessica Alba would be my perfect co-star - what man wouldn't want to do a romantic movie with her?

I came from the bottom of the bottom. It's hard for a lot of people to comprehend my story - a lot of people just don't get me because they haven't experienced it. I come from the bottom and I have risen up and I have changed but I have never forgotten. My mother was killed when I was eight and I moved in with my grandparents in Queens, New York. I didn't fit in at school, teachers were telling me if I worked hard and studied then maybe I'd be able to get a job and - if I saved - a Toyota. I looked around and saw guys of 15 in designer clothes, driving the best set of wheels and thought I should follow their example.

I have to challenge myself to do things I fear. This is something everyone should do. I didn't know I could act but I said yes to a movie with Robert De Niro. I did it. I did it good. Each project I do involves a challenge. Doing my new album, I decided to make a film with it. If you don't fear you don't feel.


Being dropped by my record label hurt more than being shot. I was shot in May 2000 when I was sitting in a car. You don't actually feel each bullet hit you. The adrenaline is pumping and you're trying to get out of the way. I had just been signed by Columbia Records and they dropped me because of the shooting. I could deal with every bullet wound but I couldn't take that.

The birth of my son gave me a future. My ex-girlfriend, Shaniqua Tompkins, gave birth to my boy, Marquise, 11 years ago. He changed the direction of my life completely. I decided then to turn to music. Having a child meant I didn't want to be what I had been. I just walked away and never looked back.

(SOURCE)