Friday, September 4, 2009

JAY-Z's "DOA" - Translated for the Hip Hop Impaired






JAY-Z, "D.O.A" from 'The Blueprint 3'

Only rapper to rewrite history without a pen
No I.D. on the track let the story begin...
begin... begin

I (JAY-Z) am known as one of the few MCs that can create intricate rhymes without jotting anything down. This is a reminder of how impressive that feat is...

No I.D. is the producer for this song. He is also known as the man who helped mentor multiplatinum selling phenom Kanye West. He's good, and that's why I am bragging about having him on my album.


This is anti-autotune, death of the ringtone
This ain't for iTunes, this ain't for sing-alongs

Auto-tune is a product that alters your voice to make it sound in-pitch with the song. I don't like it! It's too popular! This is a song is dedicated to the streets. Gangsters care not about digital sales!


This is Sinatra at the opera, bring a blonde
Preferably with a fat ass who can sing a song

Kanye West has said that I am a modern day Frank Sinatra, and the idea of me at the opera is a metaphor for me versus my competitors. I am super tough and tower above the competition!


Wrong, this ain't politically correct
This might offend my political connects

Henceforth, I shall recklessly abandon subtlety.


My raps don't have melodies
This sh*t make jackers wanna go n commit felonies
Ah, get your chain tooken
I may do it myself, I'm so Brooklyn

My music provides the soundtrack for crime, yet as a resident of Brooklyn, I am no stranger to crime. This is not unlike the seedier elements of my fanbase.

I know we facin a recession
But the music yall makin gonna make it the great depression

Your music gives me sadface.


Ah, or your lack of aggression
Pull your skirt back down, grow a set man

Please stop being a girl and grow a pair already.


Ah, ah... this is just violent
This is death of autotune, ah moment of silence
la da da da... hey hey hey goodbye

Please take a moment to mourn the current state of hip hop and R&B. I plan on ushering in a new era of music.


Only rapper to rewrite history without a pen
No I.D. on the track let the story begin...
begin... begin

Holdup, this ain't a number 1 record
This is practically assault with a deadly weapon

I will, again, firmly assert my street cred. My music caters to ruffians.


I made this just for Flex and Mr. Cee...

I created this track for the streets. Funkmaster Flex and Mr Cee are two famous mixtape DJs that would enjoy this type of song.


I want n*ggas to feel threatened
Stop your blood clot crying
The kid the dog everybody dying

Violent imagery! My Jamaican side tells you to stop being a wuss.


No lyin, you n*ggas' jeans too tight
Your colors too bright, your voice too light
I might wear black for years straight,
I might bring back Versace shades,

You are so wimpy! Where is the threatening/dangerous element? I don't care for your fashion sense and intend to wear an opposing outfit in protest!


This ain't for Z100
'Ye told me to kill yall to keep it 100

Z100 is dedicated to pop radio in the New York area. I do not wish to be associated with the station or its music. Kanye told me to give you 100% of my "edgier" side.


This is for Hot 9-7
This here's for Clue, for Khaled, for we the best in

This is strictly for hip hop radio! In addition to the previously mentioned Funkmaster Flex and Mr Cee, this is a song also caters to DJ Clue and DJ Khaled. I will repeat my assertion of superiority.

N*gga this sh*t violent
This is death of autotune, moment of silence...

la da da da... hey hey hey goodbye

Only rapper to rewrite history without a pen
No I.D. on the track let the story begin...
begin... begin

Holdup, this sh*t need a verse from Jeezy... ay!

I might send this to the mixtape Weezy

Young Jeezy needs to rhyme on this! I will repeat his calling card, "ay!", to prove how well I know his music. I am also debating on giving the instrumental to Lil Wayne for use on his very popular mixtape series.


Get somebody from BMF to talk on this
Give this to a Blood, let a Crip walk on it

These lines denote my understanding of gang culture.


Get me foul to style on this
I just don't need nobody to smile on this
You n*ggas singin too much,
Get back to rap you T-Pain'n too much

To reiterate: You, wimps. Jigga, tough. Please start rapping and quit emulating T-Pain. It bothers me.


Ah, I'm a multi-millionaire
So how is it I'm still the hardest n*gga here?
I don't be in the project hallway
Talkin' bout how I be in the project all day
That sounds stupid to me,
If you a gangsta, this is how you prove it to me

How can I be so loaded, yet I am still harder than all of you street toughs? What gives? Please make better, edgier music. This is how you can earn my respect.


Yeah, just get violent
This is death of autotune, moment of silence

la da da da... hey hey hey goodbye

Only rapper to rewrite history without a pen
No I.D. on the track let the story begin…
begin... begin

via:fuse